Monday, December 7, 2015

Lord be my refuge in the darkest nights

Psalms 16:1-7
16:1  A Mikhtam of David. Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
2  I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You."....

5  The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot.
6  The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

7  I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.

When we suffer a severe loss of a loved one every part of our lives feel less secure.  All the plans and hopes we had for that person end.  We feel as though there is no safe place on the earth.   We are very aware of our own frailty.  

The only sure place to go is to look to God to preserve our life and be a hiding place for us in our fear.  In the end, the loss of a loved one forces us to see that the only enduring relationship and good we can have in this life "East of Eden" is the Lord.   The LORD alone is a firm and enduring reality.  Everything else is dust in the wind. 

As we turn to the Lord to give us security in an insecure world, we also find in addition that the Eternal One is also a source of wise instruction and comfort about our loss.   Here as we find our hiding place in God we also find a song of truth to comfort our souls.  The promises and purpose of God remain steadfast and lasting.  They have not been changed in the  face of death.  There is still God's truth that remains secure. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prayer:  Lord, I am scared out of my mind.  Nothing is safe or secure.  Be my safe place and person.  Preserve my life and fruitfulness.  Lord, calm my mind and heart with your promises that all things are working together for good.  Remind me that your grace is greater than my failures.  Help me I pray to praise you in the dark.  You always remain the same.  Your steadfast love endures forever and I trust in you.    Amen










No comments:

Post a Comment