Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Seeking the protection, presence, and peace of the Lord during mourning

26 NASB - "24 The LORD bless you, and keep you; 25 The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; 26 The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.'"


One of the hardest aspects of losing a loved one or suffering a great loss of any type is that one feels vulnerable, alone, and in great internal conflict.  Times of grief and mourning are denied and avoided because the experience of deep and profound loss places us in a state of great fear and frustration. 

So we must ground ourselves in the reality that our devastating experience of death, defeat, and disaster does not mean that we our outside the reach of God’s merciful blessing.  That in the midst of our ruins the LORD is with us and shining upon us HIS love and logic. 

We have HIS unconditional favor and support to get us through this time of deep sorrow.  HIS face is one of empathy, support, kindness and love.  In the Messiah Jesus there is no condemnation to us and only an offer of a inner peace that goes beyond understanding. 

For me during my worst times I repeated to myself a self constructed creed. 

God is good
God is great
God is full of grace toward me in Messiah Jesus
God is with me in this time of grief
God will use all my grief for good. 

Telling myself this truth over and over out loud would help me to get through those dark times when it seems like the pain would devour my soul and spirit.  Combined with cries of prayer from the gut seeking in my experience an emotional encounter supporting my creed.  

Prayer

Lord help all of us who are struggling and in sorrow.  Remember we are but dust and so very frail.  Good Shepherd come now and lead us through this horrible travail.  Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment